All talks at 7.30pm (doors open at 7pm) at the Rattray Lecture Theatre, University of Leicester unless otherwise stated. Full details for Leicestershire Fieldworker talks are in our newsletter, The Fieldworker, which is circulated to members before each talk.
If you aren’t a member of the Leicestershire Fieldworkers and would like to attend a talk, please contact us.
December 14th 2023, 7.30pm
A Tale of Three Chariots
A talk by Paula Ware
Managing Director, MAP Archaeological Practice
In 2017 a remarkable Iron Age chariot burial was found during the final stages of an excavation at Pocklington, East Yorkshire, along with an impressive 164 burials and 74 square barrows. Further excavation revealed two more chariot burials – all very different – and some stunning finds. This is a talk not to be missed!
Paula Ware is managing director of MAP Archaeological Practice, with over 30 years of experience working as a professional archaeologist in a commercial environment.
FREE. All welcome, no booking necessary, doors open from 7pm. The lecture will be at the Rattray Lecture Theatre, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester (LE1 7RH)
This is a joint meeting with the Prehistoric Society.
Forthcoming in 2024
- January 18th 2024: Dr Jane Massaglia from University of Leicester talking on the imagery of the Rutland Trojan War mosaic
- March 21st 2024: Dr Gavin Speed from ULAS talking on ‘Excavation of a Saxon settlement at Eye Kettleby’
- May 16th 2024: Paul Thompson from MOLA (Northampton) talking on the Harpole Anglo-Saxon burial
- June 20th 2024: AGM and Mike Pitts talking on ‘How to build Stonehenge’
- September 19th 2024: John Thomas from ULAS talking on ‘Adventures in Iron Age Leicestershire & Rutland: Uncovering prehistoric life through modern development’
- November 21st 2024: TBC